Vice President, Corporate Development
Location: South San Francisco, California, United States
The VP head of our Corporate Development group works closely with senior executives (including the CEO, CFO, and General Counsel) to define and drive the business development agenda, with responsibility for the evaluation, process management, and execution of partnerships, alliances, joint ventures, licensing agreements, or M&A.
Success in this position requires the ability to lead and collaborate cross-functionally, engage and influence diverse audiences internally and externally, and integrate key considerations across R&D, commercial, finance, and other disciplines to identify opportunities and structure agreements that support the overall company strategy and create value.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Drive the identification, assessment and execution of business development opportunities, including sourcing, due diligence, valuation, negotiation, and deal close
- Lead and coordinate cross-functional due diligence teams, collaborating across research and development, regulatory, marketing, finance, legal/IP, etc.
- Perform commercial opportunity assessments, including conducting or overseeing and incorporating market sizing, competitive landscape analysis, market research and long-range forecasting / valuation work as appropriate
- Coordinate all aspects of transactions, including with external advisors as appropriate (ex: investment bankers, legal counsel)
- Conduct deal structuring, and lead or support the negotiations of agreements and closing of transactions
- Manage post-transaction workstreams or considerations, if applicable
- Create executive- and Board-level deliverables to summarize progress / findings and for review and approval of proposed transactions
- Present to senior stakeholders within the company and liaise with counterparties
- Maintain key industry relationship to help position company as a potential partner of choice; secure and maintain a pipeline of opportunities
- Plan and partner with all relevant internal and external stakeholders, ensuring that corporate development activities and priorities are aligned to and support company strategy
Preferred Qualifications include:
- MBA and/or other relevant advanced degree (JD, MD, PhD)
- 15+ years of related experience; proven corporate development track record of negotiating and managing successful collaborations, partnerships, licensings, and/or acquisitions of businesses or science/technologies
- Biopharma experience is required, preferably across a diverse set of roles leading to strategic, financial, scientific and commercial acumen
- Experience in healthcare analytics, market research, or equity research, or similar transferable skills for analyzing commercial opportunities, is desirable
- Executive presence, and ability to foster relationships, negotiate and collaborate with internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to influence and lead across functions; strong presentation and communication skills
- Conceptual and analytical skills, including understanding of relevant commercial and scientific drivers, as well as advanced analytical techniques and strong modeling and valuation skills
- Project management and organizational skills; agility and aptitude for handling multiple tasks concurrently
- Global mindset, and thriving in environments of cultural diversity
- Intellectual curiosity, self-starter
About Assembly Bio
Assembly Biosciences (NASDAQ: ASMB) is a clinical-stage biotechnology company developing innovative therapeutics targeting hepatitis B virus (HBV) and diseases associated with the microbiome. The HBV program is focused on advancing a new class of potent, oral core inhibitors that have the potential to increase cure rates for chronically infected patients. The microbiome program is developing novel oral live microbial biotherapeutic candidates with Assembly Bio’s fully integrated platform, including a robust process for strain identification and selection, GMP banking and production, and targeted delivery to the lower gastrointestinal tract with the GEMICEL® technology.
We believe our Microbiome platform represents a best in class approach to developing biopharmaceutical agents from live biotherapeutic products. ABI-M201, our lead program in mildly to moderately active ulcerative colitis (UC), is currently in a phase 1b clinical trial. This program is part of a broader collaboration we established with Allergan in 2017 for gastrointestinal programs such as UC, Crohn’s disease and Irritable Bowel Syndromes. Our internal pipeline comprises first in class or best in class live microbial biotherapeutic approaches in areas such as oncology, immune mediated and metabolic disorders, and other areas of high medical need.
We pride ourselves on creating a culture and work environment that is scientifically driven, ambitious, and collaborative. We encourage diversity of thought that leads to great innovation and are looking to add to our dynamic team of great people who are driven to transform the lives of patients.
Assembly Bio is headquartered in Carmel, Indiana, while the R&D headquarters is in South San Francisco. The Company also has a microbiome manufacturing facility in Groton, CT, and offices in China. Assembly Bio has a strong balance sheet having raised approximately $166 million in July 2018. We are positioned well to build the next phase of the Company toward global development and commercialization of our innovative medicines in HBV-cure and the Microbiome.
Assembly Biosciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. We are committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.
Apply for this Job
* - required fields
BACK | NEXT