Senior Scientist, Microbiology
Location: South San Francisco, California, United States
We are seeking a Senior Scientist, Microbiology with deep scientific knowledge and hands-on experience with microbiome research and anaerobic microbiology, and a track record of successful projects in a corporate environment. Working as a key member of the research microbiology group, you will bring innovative approaches to the challenge of discovering live biotherapeutic products (LBPs) for a variety of disease indications. This will require being both creative and rigorous in a timeline-driven environment. The ideal candidate will have expertise in microbiology and molecular biology, experience navigating projects in cross-functional R&D teams, strong interpersonal skills, and a spirit of innovation.
Key responsibilities include:
- Lead from the bench and contribute hands-on expertise to our microbiome discovery platform
- Provide innovative thinking with advanced level of technical skill and insight
- Design, develop, validate, perform, troubleshoot, and interpret assays for phenotypic and genotypic characterization of novel bacterial strains
- Implement best-in-class microbiology research methodologies and approaches that drive ongoing capability, process, and platform improvements
- Readily adapt to changing project needs and effectively bridge strategic aims with on-the-ground reality
- Document assays with detailed standard operating procedures (SOPs)
- Present experimental designs, results and interpretations in visual, oral, and written forms to internal stakeholders
- Collaborate with cell biologists, immunologists, computational and bioinformatics scientists to design and interpret experiments
- Lead and mentor team members
- Keep up to date on advances in the microbiome field and state-of-the-art microbiology techniques.
- Serve as an internal microbiology expert and interface with scientific community
- PhD in microbiology or related biological science with 6+ years of biotech/pharmaceutical experience, including 3+ years of supervisory experience.
- Proven record of accomplishments and know-how in the microbiome field, particularly working with anaerobic bacteria and human microbiota
- Excellent aseptic technique
- Extensive ability to independently design, develop, validate, perform, troubleshoot, and interpret complex and novel assays
- Ability to prioritize and deliver results with a strong emphasis on quality, detail, documentation, technical rigor, and timely delivery
- Passion for problem solving and “making things work”
- Highly effective team and interpersonal skills with the ability to work across different research functions and forge productive collaborations to achieve corporate milestones
- Track record of high impact publications in the microbiome field
Assembly Biosciences (NASDAQ: ASMB) is a clinical-stage biotechnology company developing innovative therapeutics targeting hepatitis B virus (HBV) and diseases associated with the microbiome. The HBV program is focused on advancing a new class of potent, oral core inhibitors that have the potential to increase cure rates for chronically infected patients. The microbiome program is developing novel oral live microbial biotherapeutic candidates with Assembly’s fully integrated platform, including a robust process for strain identification and selection, GMP banking and production, and targeted delivery to the lower gastrointestinal tract with the GEMICEL® technology. We pride ourselves on creating a culture and work environment that is scientifically driven, ambitious, and collaborative. We encourage diversity of thought that leads to great innovation and are looking to add to our dynamic team great people who are driven to transform the lives of patients.
We believe our Microbiome platform represents a best in class approach to developing biopharmaceutical agents from live biotherapeutic products. ABI-M201, our lead program in mildly to moderately active ulcerative colitis (UC), is currently in a phase 1b clinical trial. This program is part of a broader collaboration we established with Allergan in 2017 for gastrointestinal programs such as UC, Crohn’s disease and Irritable Bowel Syndromes with potential total development and commercial milestones of up to $2.8 billion. Our internal pipeline comprises first in class or best in class live microbial biotherapeutic approaches in areas such as oncology, immune mediated and metabolic disorders, and other areas of high medical need.
Assembly is headquartered in Carmel, Indiana, while the R&D headquarters is in South San Francisco. The Company also has a microbiome manufacturing facility in Groton, CT, and offices in China. Assembly has a strong balance sheet having raised approximately $166 million in July 2018. We are positioned well to build the next phase of the Company toward global development and commercialization of our innovative medicines in HBV-cure and the Microbiome.
Assembly Biosciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. We are committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.
Apply for this Job
* - required fields
BACK | NEXT