Senior Scientist, Discovery Virology
Location: South San Francisco, California, United States
Summary: We are seeking a creative and highly motivated Sr. scientist with experience in Virology and small molecule drug discovery to join our Discovery Virology team at Assembly Bio. This individual will work closely with senior members of the Biology, Chemistry and Drug Metabolism teams to select drug targets and to conduct and oversee biological testing of new inhibitors.
Key responsibilities include:
- Implementing and overseeing biological research to drive the discovery of new small molecule drugs
- Contributing to Research strategy on target selection, validation and screening approaches
- Participating in and/or leading cross-functional drug discovery teams
- Management of junior Biologists as well as providing guidance and training across the department
- Interpretation and presentation of complex data sets
- Effective teamwork with colleagues in Medicinal Chemistry, DMPK, and Clinical Virology, to support all stages of drug discovery and development
- Working effectively with external collaborators and CROs to accomplish department goals
- Monitoring relevant scientific literature and incorporate new insights into work activities
- Contributing to the publication and external presentation of results
Preferred Qualifications include:
- PhD or equivalent and 5+ years relevant industry experience
- Laboratory experience in infectious disease related biology, ideally virology
- Experience in development and optimization of in vitro and cell-based screening assays
- Experience in managing direct reports and leading cross-functional drug discovery teams
- Experience working with external collaborators and Contract Research Organizations
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively across the organization
- Ability to contribute to strategy; ability to proactively conceive and propose new Research ideas; ability to establish infrastructure to support new Research initiatives
About Assembly Bio
Assembly Biosciences (NASDAQ: ASMB) is a clinical stage biopharmaceutical company with cutting-edge therapeutics potentially capable of improving millions of lives around the world. We pride ourselves on creating a culture and work environment that is scientifically driven, ambitious, and collaborative. We encourage diversity of thought that leads to great innovation and are looking to add great people to our dynamic team who are driven to transform the lives of patients. We are currently focused on the development of two intelligently designed, scientifically novel clinical platforms:
An HBV program intent on creating a new class of oral therapeutics to finally cure hepatitis B. Our program is built on ingenuity, vision and experience and has the potential to improve cure rates for individuals with chronic hepatitis B (HBV) in our lifetime. Our strong scientific expertise in discovering small molecules targeting the HBV core protein has made us a leader in the field.
A Microbiome program of potentially life-changing oral live biotherapeutics to transform the treatment of an entire range of diseases linked to the microbiome. We believe our Microbiome platform represents a best in class approach, translating naturally evolved, bacteria-host pharmacological interactions into rationally selected, live oral biotherapeutics.
Assembly Bio has a strong balance sheet and is well-positioned to advance our innovative research and potential medicines in HBV-cure and the Microbiome. Headquartered in South San Francisco, CA, Assembly Bio also operates a microbiome manufacturing facility in Groton, CT, and has offices in China.
Assembly Biosciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. We are committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.
Apply for this Job
* - required fields
BACK | NEXT