Senior Director, Discovery Virology
Location: South San Francisco, California, United States
We are seeking an experienced, creative, and highly motivated scientist with industry experience in Virology and small molecule drug discovery. This individual will head Biology efforts in support of Assembly’s goals of identifying novel antiviral drug candidates. In addition to leading Discovery Virology, this individual will work closely with the CSO and Sr Research Staff in Medicinal Chemistry and DMPK to contribute to target selection and overall Research strategy.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Leading, managing, developing, and expanding Assembly’s Discovery Virology group to support biology efforts (e.g. development of target biology and biological profiling of inhibitors) and meet the needs of Research in the short and long term.
- Effective teamwork with colleagues in Medicinal Chemistry, DMPK, and Clinical Virology, to support all stages of drug discovery (target ID to screening to nomination of drug candidates)
- Effective collaboration with other departments within the company (Clinical, Business, Finance, Legal, Human Resources, and Manufacturing) to maximize the effectiveness, capability, and impact of Discovery Biology and Research
- Effective management of external collaborative Research opportunities and CROs
- Contribution to the development of Research Strategy including specific drug targets and disease areas
Preferred Qualifications include:
- Not sure if you are qualified for this position? We know that skills and experience can show up in different ways and we welcome resumes from a broad range of applicants. You are encouraged to apply even if you do not meet each of the listed preferred qualifications.
- PhD in the life sciences, ideally in microbiology or virology
- 13+ years of experience in academic and/or industry positions
- Experience in successfully managing, leading, and developing Research teams
- Experience in infectious disease related biology, ideally virology
- Experience in small molecule drug discovery including screening and SAR development
- Experience in managing external Research collaborations and Contract Research Organizations
- Strong communication, management, and leadership skills
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively across the organization
- Ability to contribute to strategy; ability to proactively conceive and propose new Research ideas; able to establish infrastructure to support new Research initiatives
About Assembly Bio
Assembly Biosciences (NASDAQ: ASMB) is a clinical stage biopharmaceutical company with cutting-edge therapeutics potentially capable of improving millions of lives around the world. We pride ourselves on creating a culture and work environment that is scientifically driven, ambitious, and collaborative. We encourage diversity of thought that leads to great innovation and are looking to add great people to our dynamic team who are driven to transform the lives of patients. We are currently focused on the development of two intelligently designed, scientifically novel clinical platforms:
An HBV program intent on creating a new class of oral therapeutics to finally cure hepatitis B. Our program is built on ingenuity, vision and experience and has the potential to improve cure rates for individuals with chronic hepatitis B (HBV) in our lifetime. Our strong scientific expertise in discovering small molecules targeting the HBV core protein has made us a leader in the field.
A Microbiome program of potentially life-changing oral live biotherapeutics to transform the treatment of an entire range of diseases linked to the microbiome. We believe our Microbiome platform represents a best in class approach, translating naturally evolved, bacteria-host pharmacological interactions into rationally selected, live oral biotherapeutics.
Assembly Bio has a strong balance sheet and is well-positioned to advance our innovative research and potential medicines in HBV-cure and the Microbiome. Headquartered in South San Francisco, CA, Assembly Bio also operates a microbiome manufacturing facility in Groton, CT, and has offices in China.
Assembly Biosciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. We are committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.
Apply for this Job
* - required fields
BACK | NEXT