Senior Bioinformatics Scientist
Location: South San Francisco, California, United States
The Senior Bioinformatics Scientist will have industry experience and deep expertise in computational analyses of the microbiome. Working in conjunction with the R&D team, you will bring The Bioinformatics Scientist will work in conjunction with the Sr. Bioinformatics Scientist and R&D team to develop expertise in to implement and manage the analysis of 16S, multi-omics data sets and other biological data, and to build a world-class platform from which we will discover, validate and develop microbiome products.
Using your knowledge of the microbiome, particularly well-validated and emerging computational analytical tools and strategies to analyze microbiome data in the context of therapeutic programs, you will provide intellectual and technical excellence to contribute to guide ideation of new discovery strategies and lead their implementation in collaboration with microbiology and cell biology teams. This strategic, yet hands on, role will provide bioinformatics leadership and direction for the company’s pipeline of programs for diseases in the microbiome space. This is a unique opportunity to have an impact on the success of a well-positioned, well-financed biotechnology company.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Develop and perform novel, rigorous bioinformatics analyses of internal and external datasets
- Develop research grade algorithms
- Partner with biologists, microbiologists, immunologists, computational and experimental scientists to design and interpret experiments
- Develop novel bioinformatic strategies to enable microbial therapeutic discovery and validation
- Mentor, train and develop team members
- Proactively offer creative solutions and new computational strategies to solve problems in therapeutic R&D
- Present results, interpretations and project proposals at internal research team meetings and for non-technical stakeholders
- Contribute to intellectual property submissions and ensure appropriate records in support of concepts and reduction to practice
Preferred Qualifications include:
- PhD in bioinformatics, computational biology, biostatistics, or similar field
- 5+ years of industry experience in analysis of next generation sequencing data sets
- Well versed with current bioinformatics tools and databases for interpretation of microbiome sequencing data. Experience with human microbiome data sets is a plus
- Understanding of phylogenetic approaches for refining hierarchy of order, family, genus, species, strain
- Proficient in python, R, shell scripting and version control
- Demonstrated experience in machine learning, algorithm development and testing
- High quality publication track record
- Thorough knowledge of microbiome literature particularly in the context of therapeutic programs
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Must be able to clearly communicate bioinformatics strategies and data outputs to those not in the field such as with Legal, Regulatory and Manufacturing colleagues
- Must be able to collaborate effectively with Microbiology and Cell Biology teams to support rigorous experimental design and propose innovative downstream bioinformatic analyses
- Strong organizational and record keeping skills
- High attention to detail and problem-solving
- Ability to independently design, perform, troubleshoot and interpret experiments
- An excellent work ethic and willingness to work collaboratively in a fast-paced work environment are essential
- Ability to prioritize and deliver results with a strong emphasis on quality, documentation, technical rigor, focus on detail and timely delivery
- Highly motivated and hands-on to deliver on project goals
- There may be some limited travel associated with this position
About Assembly Bio
Assembly Biosciences (NASDAQ: ASMB) is a clinical stage biopharmaceutical company with cutting-edge therapeutics potentially capable of improving millions of lives around the world. We pride ourselves on creating a culture and work environment that is scientifically driven, ambitious, and collaborative. We encourage diversity of thought that leads to great innovation and are looking to add great people to our dynamic team who are driven to transform the lives of patients. We are currently focused on the development of two intelligently designed, scientifically novel clinical platforms:
An HBV program intent on creating a new class of oral therapeutics to finally cure hepatitis B. Our program is built on ingenuity, vision and experience and has the potential to improve cure rates for individuals with chronic hepatitis B (HBV) in our lifetime. Our strong scientific expertise in discovering small molecules targeting the HBV core protein has made us a leader in the field.
A Microbiome program of potentially life-changing oral live biotherapeutics to transform the treatment of an entire range of diseases linked to the microbiome. We believe our Microbiome platform represents a best in class approach, translating naturally evolved, bacteria-host pharmacological interactions into rationally selected, live oral biotherapeutics.
Assembly Bio has a strong balance sheet and is well-positioned to advance our innovative research and potential medicines in HBV-cure and the Microbiome. Headquartered in South San Francisco, CA, Assembly Bio also operates a microbiome manufacturing facility in Groton, CT, and has offices in China.
Assembly Biosciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. We are committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.
Apply for this Job
* - required fields
BACK | NEXT