Scientist / Sr. Scientist, Immunology (Discovery Biology)
Location: South San Francisco, California, United States
We are seeking a creative and highly motivated Research Scientist / Viral Immunologist to join our Discovery Biology Team. You will work closely with senior members of the Biology / Virology, Chemistry, and Drug Metabolism teams to select drug targets and to conduct and oversee biological testing of new inhibitors.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Independently design, develop, and execute complex in vitro and/or in vivo experiments to identify and characterize small molecules stimulating the human innate and/or adaptive immune system.
- Design and conduct studies on the immunopathogenesis of viral hepatitis and/or the regulation of hepatic and systemic immune responses in the presence of novel inhibitors.
- Identify and characterize novel biomarker/drug targets to counteract the pathologies of viral hepatitis.
- Make detailed observations, analyze data, and interpret results independently.
- Participate in cross-functional drug discovery teams by presenting and discussing experimental results.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues in other functional groups (Medicinal Chemistry, DMPK, and Clinical Virology) to support all stages of drug discovery and development.
- Stay current with scientific developments by reviewing scientific literature and attending relevant scientific meetings. Integrate learnings into ongoing work activities.
- Working effectively with external collaborators and Contract Research Organizations (CROs) to support department goals.
- Contributing to the publication and external presentation of results.
Not sure if you are qualified for this position? We know that skills and experience can show up in different ways and we welcome resumes from a broad range of applicants. You are encouraged to apply even if you do not meet each of the listed preferred qualifications.
- Typical experience for a Scientist usually includes a PhD with 2-3 years of relevant industry experience. Candidates at the Sr. Scientist level would be expected to have significant additional years of directly related experience. Those with direct research experience in disease-related biology, ideally viral hepatitis, will be considered uniquely qualified for this role.
- Cell biology experience is a plus.
- Experience in disease-relevant animal models is a plus.
- Experience working with external collaborators and CROs.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively across the organization.
- Ability to contribute to strategy; ability to proactively conceive and propose new Research ideas; ability to establish infrastructure to support new Research initiatives.
As a condition of employment, you will be required to show proof that you are fully vaccinated by your first day of employment. You are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after your second dose in a 2-dose series, (Pfizer or Moderna vaccines), or two weeks after a single-dose vaccine, (Johnson & Johnson’s/Janssen vaccine). If you are unable to be vaccinated for a medical or disability-related reason, or a deeply held religious belief, Human Resources will discuss potential exemptions and accommodations with you.
About Assembly Bio
Assembly Bio is a clinical-stage biotechnology company committed to bringing finite and curative therapies to the 270 million people living with hepatitis B virus (HBV) worldwide. A pioneer in the development of a new class of potent, oral core inhibitor drug candidates, Assembly Bio’s approach aims to break the complex viral replication cycle of HBV to free patients from a lifetime of therapy. Assembly Bio’s strategy includes a leading portfolio of more potent, next-generation core inhibitors, proof-of-concept combination studies for HBV cure and research programs focused on the discovery of additional novel antiviral mechanisms for HBV, and other viral diseases. For more information, visit assemblybio.com.
We pride ourselves on creating a culture and work environment that is scientifically driven, ambitious, and collaborative. We encourage diversity of thought that leads to great innovation and are looking to add great people to our dynamic team who are driven to transform the lives of patients. We set our sights high—and pursue our goals with determination. Our unique organization stands ready to welcome talented, motivated individuals, who share our ambitions.
As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to diversity and inclusion and will not tolerate discrimination and harassment of any kind. All employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.
Information for Recruitment Agencies
Assembly Bio does not accept from recruiters/agencies any unsolicited resumes, or any candidate information including blinded resumes and will not be responsible for any fees related to resumes or candidate information that is unsolicited. Please do not contact hiring managers or Assembly Bio employees directly with any information related to a resume or a candidate. We handle all recruiting through our internal Human Resources team, and we will reach out to you directly should we wish to engage in a search. Your willingness to comply with this will significantly impact any decision we may make about doing business with you.
Apply for this Job
* - required fields
BACK | NEXT