Scientist / Senior Scientist, Virology
Location: South San Francisco, California, United States
We are seeking a highly motivated and creative scientist with expertise in virology to take a leading role in our internal research efforts to identify new antiviral therapeutics. The selected candidate will be responsible for leading, conducting and coordinating key biological studies and experiments focused on the discovery, profiling and preclinical evaluation of novel antiviral agents. The candidate will also act as group leader and ensure that research objectives are achieved in a timely manner.
- Designing and overseeing the evaluation of new molecular targets, therapeutic concepts, and therapeutic agents
- Generating and advancing research ideas based on experimental data and available scientific literature
- Managing research projects and associates to ensure the delivery of robust and impactful data
- Acting as a team leader by coordinating research efforts, set priorities, and track progress of the team’s research objectives
- Participating in multidisciplinary team efforts including leading specific parts of projects
- Presenting regular research updates in lab meetings and to project teams
- Draft and prepare research study reports and peer reviewed manuscripts
- PhD in virology, molecular biology, biochemistry or other biomedical sciences
- Senior Scientist candidates should have 6+ years of biopharmaceutical experience focusing on early stage drug discovery
- Expertise in assay development; experience in high-throughput screening and SAR effort
- In-depth knowledge of molecular virology; hands-on experience with infectious biological material, particularly live viruses
- Knowledge of state-of-the-art molecular biology techniques and approaches including molecular cloning, ELISA assays, establishment of stable mammalian cell lines, cell-based reporter assays, protein expression and purification, and (RT)qPCR
- Demonstrated ability to quickly develop new technical skills; ability to think independently and fully integrate into a high achieving team environment
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
About Assembly Bio
Assembly Biosciences (NASDAQ: ASMB) is a clinical-stage biotechnology company developing innovative therapeutics targeting hepatitis B virus (HBV) and diseases associated with the microbiome. The HBV program is focused on advancing a new class of potent, oral core inhibitors that have the potential to increase cure rates for chronically infected patients. The microbiome program is developing novel oral live microbial biotherapeutic candidates with Assembly Bio’s fully integrated platform, including a robust process for strain identification and selection, GMP banking and production, and targeted delivery to the lower gastrointestinal tract with the GEMICEL® technology.
We believe our Microbiome platform represents a best in class approach to developing biopharmaceutical agents from live biotherapeutic products. ABI-M201, our lead program in mildly to moderately active ulcerative colitis (UC), is currently in a phase 1b clinical trial. This program is part of a broader collaboration we established with Allergan in 2017 for gastrointestinal programs such as UC, Crohn’s disease and Irritable Bowel Syndromes with potential total development and commercial milestones of up to $2.8 billion. Our internal pipeline comprises first in class or best in class live microbial biotherapeutic approaches in areas such as oncology, immune mediated and metabolic disorders, and other areas of high medical need.
We pride ourselves on creating a culture and work environment that is scientifically driven, ambitious, and collaborative. We encourage diversity of thought that leads to great innovation and are looking to add to our dynamic team of great people who are driven to transform the lives of patients.
Assembly Bio is headquartered in Carmel, Indiana, while the R&D headquarters is in South San Francisco. The Company also has a microbiome manufacturing facility in Groton, CT, and offices in China. Assembly Bio has a strong balance sheet having raised approximately $166 million in July 2018. We are positioned well to build the next phase of the Company toward global development and commercialization of our innovative medicines in HBV-cure and the Microbiome.
Assembly Biosciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. We are committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.
Apply for this Job
* - required fields