Location: South San Francisco, California, United States
We are seeking a Scientist, Microbiology with broad expertise in microbiology and demonstrated ability to perform research in a corporate environment. Working as a key member of the research microbiology group, you will help discover new live biotherapeutic products (LBPs) for a variety of disease indications. This will require being both creative and rigorous in a timeline-driven environment. The ideal candidate will have expertise in anaerobic microbiology, experience in cross-functional R&D teams, strong interpersonal skills, and a “can do” attitude.
Key responsibilities include:
- Develop and perform rigorous medium and high-throughput anaerobic microbial culturing, characterization, and enumeration assays
- Develop and perform molecular biology assays such as qPCR to identify specific bacteria from complex mixtures
- Design, validate, and implement new assays to enhance the discovery capabilities of the microbiome platform
- Document assays with detailed standard operating procedures (SOPs)
- Present experimental designs, results and interpretations in visual, oral, and written forms to internal stakeholders
- Collaborate with cell biologists, immunologists, computational and bioinformatics scientists to design and interpret experiments
- Lead and mentor team members as needed
- Keep up to date on advances in the microbiome field and state-of-the-art microbiology techniques
- PhD in microbiology or related biological science with 2+ years of experience, or BA/MA with 8+ years of experience, in biotech/pharmaceutical research
- Excellent aseptic technique
- Ability to independently design, perform, troubleshoot and interpret experiments
- Ability to prioritize and deliver results with a strong emphasis on quality, detail, documentation, technical rigor, and timely delivery
- Excellent analytical and written/verbal communication skills
- Must be able to collaborate effectively with the broader research team to support creative and rigorous experimental design and propose innovative solutions
- Highly motivated, proactive, and able to work well in a fast-paced team environment
- Prior supervisory/mentoring experience is preferred
- Prior exposure to cultivating microbes from human microbiota as well as exposure to microbiome literature are highly desirable
Assembly Biosciences (NASDAQ: ASMB) is a clinical-stage biotechnology company developing innovative therapeutics targeting hepatitis B virus (HBV) and diseases associated with the microbiome. The HBV program is focused on advancing a new class of potent, oral core inhibitors that have the potential to increase cure rates for chronically infected patients. The microbiome program is developing novel oral live microbial biotherapeutic candidates with Assembly’s fully integrated platform, including a robust process for strain identification and selection, GMP banking and production, and targeted delivery to the lower gastrointestinal tract with the GEMICEL® technology. We pride ourselves on creating a culture and work environment that is scientifically driven, ambitious, and collaborative. We encourage diversity of thought that leads to great innovation and are looking to add to our dynamic team great people who are driven to transform the lives of patients.
We believe our Microbiome platform represents a best in class approach to developing biopharmaceutical agents from live biotherapeutic products. ABI-M201, our lead program in mildly to moderately active ulcerative colitis (UC), is currently in a phase 1b clinical trial. This program is part of a broader collaboration we established with Allergan in 2017 for gastrointestinal programs such as UC, Crohn’s disease and Irritable Bowel Syndromes with potential total development and commercial milestones of up to $2.8 billion. Our internal pipeline comprises first in class or best in class live microbial biotherapeutic approaches in areas such as oncology, immune mediated and metabolic disorders, and other areas of high medical need.
Assembly is headquartered in Carmel, Indiana, while the R&D headquarters is in South San Francisco. The Company also has a microbiome manufacturing facility in Groton, CT, and offices in China. Assembly has a strong balance sheet having raised approximately $166 million in July 2018. We are positioned well to build the next phase of the Company toward global development and commercialization of our innovative medicines in HBV-cure and the Microbiome.
Assembly Biosciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. We are committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.
Apply for this Job
* - required fields
BACK | NEXT