Director, Medicinal Chemistry
Location: South San Francisco, California, United States
We are seeking a highly motivated and creative senior level scientist with experience in discovery and optimization of novel small molecule therapeutics. More specifically, we are looking for an experienced medicinal chemist who has a strong desire and passion to work in a multi-disciplinary fast-paced and dynamic team environment and assume a leading role in our internal research efforts to identify new therapeutics for curing chronic HBV infection and other virus infections. The selected candidate will be responsible for the rigorous management of external chemistry resources, designing and directing the
synthesis of candidate drug molecules to develop structure-activity relationships, and incorporating key biological and DMPK data to accelerate the identification of clinical candidate compounds. The selected candidate will play a prominent role reviewing the patent literature and assist company patent attorneys in filing new patents to ensure establishment of a strong proprietary estate.
Key responsibilities include:
- Direct small molecule drug discovery programs through efficient use and oversight of external resources
- Exhibit creativity and genuine curiosity for novel approaches to improve the drug discovery approach, increase efficiency and generate better candidate molecules
- Design new target molecules for SAR development and lead optimization
- Oversee and provide guidance on executing the actual synthesis of these new molecular targets
- Active participation in multidisciplinary team efforts, collaborate closely with scientists in computational modeling, virology and DMPK
- Present regular research updates to project teams and R&D management
- Contribute to patent generation, review and filings
Preferred Qualifications include:
- PhD in organic or medicinal chemistry
- 10+ years of experience with proven track record of success in an industrial setting
- In-depth knowledge of drug discovery process
- Extensive skill sets in drug design, SAR development, and complex organic synthesis
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
About Assembly Bio
Assembly Biosciences (NASDAQ: ASMB) is an ambitious clinical stage biopharmaceutical company with cutting-edge therapeutics potentially capable of improving the lives of millions living with chronic hepatitis B virus (HBV) infection around the world. We are currently focused on an HBV program intent on creating a new class of oral therapeutics to finally cure hepatitis B. Our program is built on ingenuity, vision and experience and has the potential to improve cure rates for individuals with chronic hepatitis B (HBV) in our lifetime. Our strong scientific expertise in discovering small molecules targeting the HBV core protein has made us a leader in the field.
We pride ourselves on creating a culture and work environment that is scientifically driven, ambitious, and collaborative. We encourage diversity of thought that leads to great innovation and are looking to add great people to our dynamic team who are driven to transform the lives of patients. We set our sights high—and pursue our goals with determination. Our unique organization stands ready to welcome talented, motivated individuals, who share our ambitions.
Assembly Biosciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. We are committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.
Apply for this Job
* - required fields
BACK | NEXT