Chief Legal Officer
Location: South San Francisco, California, United States
Assembly Biosciences is searching for a Chief Legal Officer with proven experience in a clinical stage life science company with experience in public reporting and corporate governance to join our executive leadership team. This highly visible position serves as the Company’s chief lawyer and legal representative to external parties, and works to ensure the integrity of our disclosure, governance and compliance framework. As Chief Legal Officer, you will use your expertise to practically advise and implement the decisions made by the CEO, Management, and Board of Directors. In addition, you will play an integral role in facilitating Assembly Bio’s overall business strategy and development, which includes offering counsel on legal issues related to the development and commercialization of our drug development candidates.
Key Responsibilities include
- Assume a lead role in further defining and developing corporate policies, procedures, and programs and providing proactive, timely, high-quality analysis and pragmatic advice on all legal, strategic and business issues
- Serve as the lead lawyer/legal advisor on all major business transactions, including licensing, acquisitions, divestitures, joint ventures and other collaborations
- Assume ultimate responsibility for ensuring that the Company conducts its business in compliance with applicable laws and regulations applicable to public reporting companies and life science companies
- Serve as Corporate Secretary with Board of Directors activities as they pertain to governance, regulations, oversight and conduct, including SOX compliance. Provide interpretations and advise executives and the Board of Directors on legal aspects of the Company’s financing, business structures, legal entities and other strategic matters
- Advise the organization on emerging trends and provide insight on the regulatory and legal climate within which the business operates Lead and organize the Company’s internal legal function and staff
- Oversee the selection, retention, management, and evaluation of outside counsel
- Provide guidance on legal issues and risk mitigation strategies relating to corporate contracts, and commercial sales
- Work with in-house counsel to negotiate all forms of contracts and third-party agreements and to create, review, manage and maintain the company’s contract and agreement templates
- Support the Human Resource Department on employment matters
- Provide employee training on issues related to employment and contract law, insider trading rules and other compliance matters
- Maintain legal files and set up process and systems for contract administration and compliance
- Build effective working relationships, influence, negotiate, and drive organizational engagement with the ability to be flexible and adapt quickly to the changing needs of the organization
- Work closely with key strategic alliance partner(s) for projects that are being jointly developed;create new entities and manage the organization's intellectual property
- Assure that the highest quality, ethical and professional values are demonstrated in all aspects of the Company’s legal representation
- Represent Company with external parties as needed (regulators, external counsel, government entities, clients, partners, suppliers, etc.)
- Commission and review legal research related to company's litigation strategy pertaining to legal actions.
Experience and Qualifications
- Proven track record of providing counsel to clients in the pharmaceutical and/or biotech industry combined with overall broad corporate legal knowledge (commercial law, securities law, litigation, labor law, etc.)
- JD with at least fifteen 10-15 years of experience in a major international law firm or corporate law department of an international corporation (or a combination of both), including roles of increasing leadership and responsibility; and/or 5+ years in a General Counsel role within a public company in a highly regulated industry
- Ability to think creatively, from a legal perspective, on matters such as business strategy and plans to be compliant with legal and regulatory requirements
- Well-versed in how businesses operate with a strong financial acumen
- High degree of professional ethics, integrity and gravitas
- Proven skills and abilities in results achievement, decision making, problem resolution, research, writing and litigation
- Goal-driven with excellent judgment
- Extensive analytical, organizational and planning skills
- First-class interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to anticipate legal issues or risks and to “see around the corner”
- Licensed to practice law in at least one jurisdiction in the United States
- Proven experience with M&A design, key partnerships, and other financial strategies
- Ability to maintain the integrity of the Company’s reputation internally and externally
- Ability and willingness to travel both domestically and internationally as needed
About Assembly Bio
Assembly Biosciences (NASDAQ: ASMB) is a clinical stage biopharmaceutical company with cutting-edge therapeutics potentially capable of improving millions of lives around the world. We pride ourselves on creating a culture and work environment that is scientifically driven, ambitious, and collaborative. We encourage diversity of thought that leads to great innovation and are looking to add great people to our dynamic team who are driven to transform the lives of patients. We are currently focused on the development of two intelligently designed, scientifically novel clinical platforms:
An HBV program intent on creating a new class of oral therapeutics to finally cure hepatitis B. Our program is built on ingenuity, vision and experience and has the potential to improve cure rates for individuals with chronic hepatitis B (HBV) in our lifetime. Our strong scientific expertise in discovering small molecules targeting the HBV core protein has made us a leader in the field.
A Microbiome program of potentially life-changing oral live biotherapeutics to transform the treatment of an entire range of diseases linked to the microbiome. We believe our Microbiome platform represents a best in class approach, translating naturally evolved, bacteria-host pharmacological interactions into rationally selected, live oral biotherapeutics.
Assembly Bio has a strong balance sheet and is well-positioned to advance our innovative research and potential medicines in HBV-cure and the Microbiome. Headquartered in South San Francisco, CA, Assembly Bio also operates a microbiome manufacturing facility in Groton, CT, and has offices in China.
Assembly Biosciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. We are committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.
Apply for this Job
* - required fields
BACK | NEXT